MHG51133 - Site Of Military Road Marker Near Loch Shiel

Summary

Site of a marker stone associated with the construction of the Fort Augustus to Bernera military road. The stone is no longer visible.

Type and Period (1)

  • MARKER STONE (Erected, 18th Century - 1770 AD to 1784 AD (at some time))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

This is one of two marker stones that formerly stood along the line of the Fort Augustus to Bernera military road through Glen Shiel. This stone bears the inscription "XXIV. Reg. Ended". The stone is described as being "2 feet 6 inches high; breadth at the top 14 inches, at the middle 16 1/2 inches, and at the bottom 22 inches, and is 4 inches thick." <1><2>

This stone was still in situ c.2006 but it is now no longer visible. It may have been removed or buried during felling operations. <3>


<1> Wallace, T, 1896-7, 'Notes of antiquities in Loch Alsh and Kintail', PSAS, Volume 31, p 88, 89 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1180.


<2> Ramsay, W, 2008, Letter regarding military road marker stone in writer's garden and other sites (Text/Correspondence). SHG23403.


<3> Ramsay, W, 03/04/2008, Letter concerning the military road and military road markers at Glen Shiel (Text/Correspondence). SHG23385.

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference NG 94628 17928 (point) (Approximate)
Map sheet NG91NW
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish GLENSHIEL

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.