MHG51144 - Current Site Of Military Road Marker At Kyle

Summary

The current location of a military road marker which is associated with the construction of the Fort Augustus to Bernera military road.

Type and Period (1)

  • MARKER STONE (18th Century - 1771 AD to 1771 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

This stone bears the inscription "The IV.of King's Own Royal Reg. made 249 (yards?) of Road Ea[st], 1771". Its dimensions are described as being similar to those of a second marker stone: "2 feet 6 inches high; breadth at the top 14 inches, at the middle 16 1/2 inches, and at the bottom 22 inches, and is 4 inches thick." The stone was not in its original position when this article was written. <1>

This stone now lies in the finder's garden, having been found in the location described in <1> (see MHG51142). <2>


<1> Wallace, T, 1896-7, 'Notes of antiquities in Loch Alsh and Kintail', PSAS, Volume 31 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1180.


<2> Ramsay, W, 2008, Letter regarding military road marker stone in writer's garden and other sites (Text/Correspondence). SHG23403.

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference NG 76188 27980 (point) (Approximate)
Map sheet NG72NE
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish LOCHALSH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.