MHG51149 - Buildings and enclosure at 2 Altavaid, Dunvegan

Summary

Two buildings and an enclosure are depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1877. One building survived as visible remains in 2005.

Type and Period (2)

  • BUILDING (Built, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD? to 1877 AD (at some time))
  • ENCLOSURE (Constructed, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD? to 1877 AD (at some time))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Two roofed buildings and a sub-rectangular enclosure were identified during the RCHAMS First Edition survey project. <1> The buildings and enclosure are first depicted on the 25 inch map of 1877. In 1903 the southernmost building was no longer extant. The other building was unroofed by 1966. The southern part of the enclosure is preserved by the line of the modern boundary, but its physical survival is not known. <2>-<4>

A planning application was submitted in 2002 for the construction of 2 houses. Visible remains of one of the buildings survived in 2005 when the land was still building plots. <5>

Sources/Archives (5)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 28968 42205 (27m by 21m) (Approximate)
Map sheet NG24SE
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish DUIRINISH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.