MHG51160 - Polmaily Farm
A farm which is first mentioned in documents from the late medieval period.
Type and Period (1)
- FARM (Established, Norse to 16th Century - 1058 AD? to 1509 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
The first reference to settlement here is in 1509 when the land was already a discrete farm unit. Polmaily was one of the first farms in Glenurquhart to adopt the new improvement techniques in the later 18th century. There was apparently also a still at Polmaily at this time, one of seven in the glen. It is possible that the drystone walls also date back to this period. By 1870-71 the farm had been laid out in the form seen today, as depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of the area. A fuller discussion of the farm is available in the report on a walkover survey carried out in 1999. <1>
The polygon for this farm only attempts to capture the broad area of the farmstead and not the wider farm extent. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 47739 30783 (126m by 84m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.