MHG51173 - Herring station at Achastle-shore
A herring station built in 1810 by Patrick MacDonald. Although now ruinous, substantial remains of the buildings are still present.
Type and Period (1)
- FISHING STATION (Built, 19th Century - 1810 AD to 1810 AD)
A complex of buildings is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1872. This comprises two groups of buildings arranged around adjacent courtyards. This was a herring station, built in 1810 by Patrick MacDonald. <1>
The buildings are now ruinous. The western group of buildings has been destroyed to ground level, but the eastern group survives almost to eaves height in places. Photographs of the buildings and their setting were submitted by a visitor to the HER website in August 2008. <2> One of the photographs shows stone walling apparently eroding out of the ground at the side of the track. It is hard to tell from the photograph, but this probably relates to Swiney Castle (see MHG1906). <3>
Several other pictures of the site are available on the Caithness Community Web Site. <4>
The site was Schedukled by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016. <5>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 13. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 270.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-3. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Caithness (surveyed 1870-72). Digital.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Begg, I. 07/2008. Photographs of sites at Achcastle and Milltown Haven, Caithness. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <4> Interactive Resource/Webpage: Caithness Community Web Site.
- <5> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Scheduled Monument Notification - SM13642: Achastle-shore, fishing station. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 23083 34016 (62m by 38m) (Estimated from sources)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13642 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://portal.historic-scotland.gov.uk/designation/SM13642 (View Scheduled Monument description)
- http://www.caithness.org/community/museums/rangervisitorcentre/lybsterforse17march2002/ (Click to view Rangers' Walking Pictures on the Caithness Community Web Site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.