MHG51298 - Gallows Hill (Cnoc na Croiche), Kishorn

Summary

Oral history indicates that this hill was connected with Courthill, being the site of the gallows during the medieval period.

Type and Period (1)

  • GALLOWS (In use, Medieval to 16th Century - 1058 AD to 1600 AD (at some time))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The following information was supplied by a local researcher, Paul Swan: The moot-hill of Courthill (Cnoc a' mhoid) is where the lairds of the Applecross Mackenzies carried out their court of justice. It lies adjacent to St. Donan's chapel & on the old parish boundary between Applecross & Lochcarron. For those unlucky enough to be sentenced to death, there was the ½ mile uphill trudge to Gallows Hill, where presumably sentence was carried out. <1>-<4>

Gallows Hill is named on Blacks new large map of Scotland 1862. <5>


<1> Swan, P, 2008-9, Correspondence from Paul Swan regarding several sites in the Lochcarron area (Text/Correspondence). SHG23871.


<2> Swan, P, Gallows Hill (Text/Manuscript). SHG23872.


<3> Swan, P, 2008-11, Photographs of various HER sites submitted by Paul Swan (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23809.


<4> Swan, P, 2008, Annotated maps of Lochcarron area (Image/Drawing). SHG23934.


<5> Black, 1862, Extract from Blacks new large map of Scotland 1862 (Image/Map). SHG23887.

Sources/Archives (5)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 83788 40875 (40m by 40m) (Estimated from sources)
Map sheet NG84SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish LOCHCARRON

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.