MHG51299 - Trackway through Glen Carron to New Kelso
Trackway that formed part of the main route through Glen Carron until the main road was built in 1819.
Type and Period (2)
- TRACKWAY (Medieval to 21st Century - 1058 AD to 2100 AD)
- ROAD (In use, Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1819 AD)
- None recorded
A local researcher, Paul Swan, provided information about this trackway, which would have been part of the main route up Glen Carron until the Parlimentary road was built in the early years of the 19th century. <1> The photo is looking south east toward New Kelso. <2>
The road is depicted on Frederick Carrington's map of 1846, an extract of which was sent in by Mr Swan. <3>
- <1> SHG23871 Text/Correspondence: Swan, P. 2008-9. Correspondence from Paul Swan regarding several sites in the Lochcarron area. Yes. Digital.
- <2> SHG23809 Image/Photograph(s): Swan, P. 2008-11. Photographs of various HER sites submitted by Paul Swan. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <3> SHG23873 Image/Map: Carrington, F. 1846. Extract from Frederick Carrington's 1846 map. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 93850 43575 (2470m by 2356m) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.