MHG51309 - Lazybeds at Achavanie, near Kishorn
Lazybeds associated with the settlement of Achavanie, still visible as earthworks.
Type and Period (2)
- LAZY BEDS (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- CULTIVATION MARKS (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Information about this site was submitted by a local researcher, Paul Swan, in August 2008. These lazybeds are associated with the settlement shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map as Achavanie, and known as Achbane in 1548 & Auchvanie in 1633. The lazy beds were photographed from grid reference NG 834 407. The ruined buildings of the settlement are still visible but hard to access lying behind a new deer fence. <1>-<3>
- <1> SHG23871 Text/Correspondence: Swan, P. 2008-9. Correspondence from Paul Swan regarding several sites in the Lochcarron area. Yes. Digital.
- <2> SHG23809 Image/Photograph(s): Swan, P. 2008-11. Photographs of various HER sites submitted by Paul Swan. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <3> SHG23934 Image/Drawing: Swan, P. 2008. Annotated maps of Lochcarron area. Yes.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 83506 40709 (72m by 79m) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.