MHG51386 - Generator House, Loans of Tullich

Summary

Brick built generator house, part of Loans of Tullich military camp.

Type and Period (1)

  • GENERATOR HOUSE (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Brick built rectangular building with large opening on northern elevation. This opening is concealed by a brick wall which extends along the northern and eastern sides and enclosed an elevated concrete hard standing on the eastern side which would have housed the fuel supply <1>.

As described above. However, the gap in the outer blast wall on the northern elevation has been formed post-war, probably to allow easy access for the storage of farm machinery within the generator building. The blast wall would originally have enclosed the entrance and the raised area used for fuel storage; the entrance would have been from the south. A small brick building with a single doorway is located to the south, next to the base of a second building (depicted as roofed on the 25" OS mapping c.1974 (epoch 5a)) <2>. Photographed <3>.


<1> Ash Consulting Group, 1999, Second World War Airfields at Tain and Fearn, Easter Ross (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG21706.


<2> Puls, A, Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist (Verbal Communication). SHG23286.


<3> Puls, A, Site Visit Photographs, 30/10/2008 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23993.

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 85759 76957 (19m by 19m)
Map sheet NH87NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish FEARN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.