MHG51437 - Former post office at Ruighe Shligeach
A building depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1878 which was latterly used as a post office and is now a house.
Type and Period (2)
- POST OFFICE (In use, 20th Century to 21st Century - 1962 AD? to 2005 AD? (between))
- HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1878 AD (between))
- None recorded
A roofed rectangular building is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1878 orientated in a N-S direction with access track extending from the main road to the structure. By the 2nd edition c.1908 the site had expanded to be composed of two roofed structures set within a rectangular enclosure. A walkover survey in October 2008 noted the site to be occupied by a single storey cottage in excellent condition which has been harled and white washed, set within a rectangular drystone walled enclosure. <1>
The 1962 and 1980 Ordnance Survey maps depict this building as a post office. <2>-<4>
- <1> SHG23986 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Shaw, C. 11/2008. Rhiconich and Sheilgra Water Main Renewal: Archaeological and Built Heritage Desk-based Assessment and Walkover Survey. Jacobs UK. 13/11/2008. Digital. Site 5.
- <2> SHG23794 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1959-1963. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map: Epoch 5a.
- <3> SHG23419 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1964-73. Ordnance Survey 25 inch map: Epoch 5a. Digital.
- <4> SHG23987 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1971-1980. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map: Epoch 5c. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 25180 52215 (42m by 45m) (Mastermap)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.