MHG51519 - Leault, Abriachan
A late 18th/19th-century farmsteading now in use as a children's home.
Type and Period (2)
- FARMSTEAD (Built, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD? to 1871 AD (at some time))
- CHILDRENS HOME (In use, Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
A late 18th/19th-century farmsteading which was latterly owned by Highland Council and used as a children's home. The building is of traditional stone and truss construction with a slate roof. It has been extended in its history with cavity block and render to form additional accommodation. The existing steading buildings are of similar construction, but they now have galvanised sheet steel roofing and are in very poor condition. They are to be demolished as part of a proposal for refurbishment and extension. <1>
These buildings are depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1871 as two separate blocks, together with two further ranges of buildings to the east which had been demolished by 1900. The two surviving ranges had been joined by 1976. <2>-<5>
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): More, S. 2007 & 2008. Photographs of Leault, Abriachan. Colour. . Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1900-5. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1964-73. Ordnance Survey 25 inch map: Epoch 5a. Digital.
- <5> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1971-1980. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map: Epoch 5c. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 55644 35313 (69m by 52m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.