MHG51524 - Old School and Schoolhouse, Balnacra
Former school and schoolhouse built in 1875 by John Campbell to a design by Alexander Ross.
Type and Period (3)
- SCHOOL (Built, 19th Century - 1875 AD to 1875 AD)
- SCHOOLHOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1875 AD to 1875 AD)
- BOUNDARY WALL (19th Century - 1875 AD to 1875 AD)
A single-storey and attic 3-bay schoolhouse and attached 3-bay school room. The architectural details are fully described in the supplementary information which accompanies the statutory list. It is one of the few surviving examples of its type in Ross-shire to substantially retain both its original plan form and internal details. The school was a response to the Education Act of 1872 which required Parish Boards to construct schools in outlying areas. It first opened on 8th October 1875 and closed in 1955. It was designed to accommodate up to 60 pupils but the school's Day Journal records that Inspectors complained that by 1890 it had never had more than 26. The school was constructed by Inverness contractor and mason, John Campbell to a standardised design following the style of Alexander Ross of Inverness. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 97943 46114 (48m by 48m) (Mastermap)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB51036 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.