MHG51648 - Bronze Age Settlement - Home Farm, Portree
No summary available.
Type and Period (8)
- ENCLOSURE (Late Bronze Age - 1250 BC to 551 BC) + Sci.Date
- PIT (Early Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 1501 BC) + Sci.Date
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC) (Late Bronze Age - 1250 BC to 551 BC) + Sci.Date
- POST ALIGNMENT (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- SOUTERRAIN (Early Iron Age to Medieval - 550 BC to 1559 AD?) + Sci.Date
- PIT (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD) + Sci.Date
- PIT (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD) + Sci.Date
- RING DITCH (Late Bronze Age - 1250 BC to 551 BC) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
A watching brief was carried out as part of a wider archaeological investigation by CFA Archaeology in 2006 in relation to residential housing development at Home Farm on the north edge of Portree, Isle of Skye. Three principal prehistoric features were recorded: a possible post-built structure, a ring-ditch type roundhouse and a substantial circular ditched enclosure. Artefacts ranging from late Neolithic to Iron Age were recovered from the site. <1>
All the investigations on the site have subseqently been published with radiocarbon dates as Scottish Archaeological Internet Report (SAIR) 54 : see attached link. <2>
The excavation assemblage from the watching brief together with the assemblage from CFA's earlier 2005 evaluation was submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 104/11) and allocated to the Museum of the Isles. <3> <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Suddaby, I. 2007. Home Farm, Portree, Skye and Lochalsh: Archaeological Watching Brief and Excavations. CFA Archaeology Ltd. 06/06/2007. .
- <2> Text/Publication/Monograph: Suddaby, I. 2013. Excavation of post-built roundhouses and a circular ditched enclosure at Kiltaraglen, Portree, Isle of Skye: 2006-7. Scottish Archaeological Internet Report. 54. Online.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 104/11.
- <4> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at the Museum of the Isles.
|Grid reference||NG 480 443 (point)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Mesolithic to Late Iron Age - 8000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- COIN (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- BEAKER (Early Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 1501 BC)
- SHERD (Late Bronze Age - 1250 BC to 551 BC)
- SHERD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- SHERD (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- SLAG (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archives/view/sair/contents.cfm?vol=54 (Link to on-line report)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/296093 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.