MHG5179 - Cille Mhaire
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
- None recorded
NG51NE 5 5533 1715.
(NG 5533 1715) Cille Mhaire (NR) Burial Ground (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1905)
'Lochaber and Skye Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie . The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies may be encountered. Published 1993.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
Adjoining the foot of the garden in front of Kilmarie Lodge is the burial ground of Kilmarie. Foundations of a building met with in digging graves in the NW corner of the graveyard are supposed to be those of the old church of Kilmarie (RCAHMS 1928) of which there were apparently, some remains extant in 1854 (OPS 1854).
Although an early account (NSA 1845) gives the dedication as St. Mary, William Reeves in his history of St. Maelrubha (W Reeves 1863) gives the church a dedication to that saint. Subsequent writers such as Gordon (1935), Muir (1885), Lamont (1913) and Simpson (1935) follow Reeves completely in this respect.
NSA 1845; OPS 1854; W Reeves 1863; T S Muir 1885; D Lamount 1913; RCAHMS 1928; S Gordon 1935; W D Simpson 1935.
Kilmarie burial ground is still in use. At the NW corner, the position suggested as the site of the church, there is a marked absence of graves in an otherwise over-crowded cemetry, which suggests the presence of an obstruction, presumably a building.
Visited by OS (A C) 18 April 1961.
- --- SHG1460 Text/Publication/Article: Reeves, W. 1862. 'Saint Maelrubha; his history and churches', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 3 1857-60, p.258-96. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 258-96. 290.
- --- SHG2163 Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alistair G Beattie and Margaret H Beattie. 1990. Lochaber and Skye Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 1st.
- --- SHG2275 Text/Publication/Volume: Gordon, S. 1935. Highways and Byways in the Western Highlands. 82.
- --- SHG2404 Text/Publication/Volume: Lamont, D. 1913. Strath: in Skye. 33.
- --- SHG2550 Text/Publication/Volume: Muir, T S. 1885. Ecclesiological notes on some of the islands of Scotland. 34.
- --- SHG2597 Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Inverness-shire, 308.
- --- SHG2656 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 215, No. 670.
- --- SHG2798 Text/Publication/Volume: Simpson, W D. 1935. The Celtic church in Scotland: a study of its penetration lines and art relationships. 78-80; fig. 10.
- --- SHG341 Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1854. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/1. 344.
- --- SHG4371 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
|Grid reference||Centred NG 5532 1715 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11432 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.