No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • ROAD (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NC27SE 52 2977 7237 (centre) NC 2923 7265 to NC 2982 7175
This road runs for a distance of about 1300m from Kearvaig farmsteading and hunting lodge (NC27SE 13; NC 2923 7265) to its junction (NC 2982 7175) with the road (NC27SE41) that links the ferry terminal on the Kyle of Durness (NC 3708 6603) to the lighthouse (NC27SE 3) at Cape Wrath. It is little more than a metalled track cut into the foot of the natural slope.
The lodge was built in 1877 and the road was probably built soon after to provide access to the moorland for shooting parties. It is first depicted on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1908, sheet 1).
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, JH), 6 August 2008.

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference NC 2977 7236 (point)
Map sheet NC27SE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish DURNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.