MHG51891 - Stone Axehead - Caithness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
ND26SW 65 unlocated
The findspot of this jadeite axe, described by Smith as 'mottled, tea-green with some brown marks', is not known.
W C Smith 1963.
Information from RCAHMS (PM) 27 Feb 2008
Acquired by the NMS 1860 from A. Rhind. Listed under Acc. No. AF 87. <1>
This axehead was loaned to Dunbeath Heritage Museum where is is on display. <2>
- --- SHG1669 Text/Publication/Article: Piggott and Powell, S and T G E. 1951. 'The excavation of three Neolithic chambered cairns in Galloway, 1949', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 83 1948-9, p.103-61. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 103-61. pp 157, no. 1.
- --- SHG2174 Text/Publication/Volume: Evans, J. 1897. The Ancient Stone Implements, Weapons and Ornaments of Great Britain. 2nd, rev.. pp 129, fig. 75.
- --- SHG24110 Dataset: RCAHMS. 01/2009. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 293024.
- --- SHG958 Text/Publication/Article: Smith, W C. 1963. 'Jade axes from sites in the British Isles', Proc Prehist Soc Vol. 29 1963, p.133-72. Proc Prehist Soc. 133-72. pp 165, no. 47.
- <1> SHG28278 Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AF 87.
- <2> SHG28482 Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Dunbeath Heritage Centre Archives.
|Grid reference||ND 20000 59999 (point)|
- AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/293024 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.