MHG5196 - Dalavil
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- None recorded
NG50NE 4 585 055.
(NG 585 055) Dalavil: a depopulated township, situated on the N side of Glen Meadhonach, a few feet above sea level, comprises about 6 ruined houses, some with out-buildings, and 3 small enclosures. There are some large areas of lazy-beds along the lower slopes of the valley.
Visited by OS (A S P) 21 June 1961; Visible on RAF air photograph CPE/Scot/UK/ 372: 4009-10.
Recorded in February 1994. Full details are lodged with Dualchas, Skye and Lochalsh Museums Service.
Sponsor: Clan Donald Lands? Trust.
A township, comprising one roofed building, seven unroofed buildings, two enclosures and some field walls is depicted on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968). An enclosure is shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Isle of Skye 1882, sheet lvii).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 3 December 1996.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 5852 0550 (1080m by 202m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11415 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.