MHG5226 - Church - Cill Ashik
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NG62SE 1 6867 2426 and 6872 2430.
(NG 6867 2426) Cill Ashik (NR) (Burial Ground) (NAT) (NG 6872 2430) Tobar Ashik (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
'Lochaber and Skye Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie . The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies may be encountered. Published 1993.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
Kill Ashik or Askimilruby (Donaldson 1923), the church of the Ferry of St. Maelrubha. Tradition says that the ferry was used by the saint to cross from his monastery of Applecross on the mainland opposite. There is also a legend that beside the church grew a tree on which St. Maelrubha's bell was hung, the bell ringing of its own accord every Sunday, etc.
Tobar Ashik, covered by a low building of large stones on the shore, is also attributed to the saint and the subject of legend.
August 27th used to be kept at Bradford as La Maolruaidhe, St. Maelrubha's Day, the date of the Old Scottish observance of his festival (Donaldson 1923).
In 1845 (NSA 1845) the church was presumably extant as it is described as 'remains of', but by 1876 (OS 6"map, Isle of Skye, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., 1876) it had disappeared and Lamont (1913) says 'the foundations of the old church were discovered while a grave was being dug some years ago'.
NSA 1845; W Reeves 1857; D Lamont 1913; M E M Donaldson 1923; RCAHMS 1928.
The site of Cill Ashik shows as a rectangular raised mound, containing much shell mortar and a few facing stones, occupying a natural rock outcrop in the highest part of the cemetery. It is orientated E-W an measures 9.0m along this axis and 7.0m transversely by 0.8m high.
Tobar Ashik is a strong spring which issues from the hillside a few feet above sea-level; it is protected by a few stone slabs above and around its point of issue.
Visited by OS (C F W) 17 April 1961.
[The] burial-ground is situated about 30m from the S shore of Ob Breakish, an inlet of the Inner Sound, at the E end of the crofting township of Lower Breakish. The name is derived from the Gaelic aiseig, 'a ferry', and it was traditionally identified as a landing-place used by St Maelrubha of Applecross. A low stony mound in the burial-ground may represent the site of a chapel, and an ornamented bronze strap-end of early medieval type was found here in 1994. The well known as Tobar Ashaig lies about 30m to the NE, and conservation work in 1994 revealed that the stone-built well-house was fed by a channel from an earlier stone-lined spring. One of the lintels of the linking channel bore a lozenge 75mm long, and a cross-marked stone was found near the well-house. <1>
GIS Spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. Remains of the church are located within the bounds of the burial ground. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Donaldson, M E M. 1923. Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands. 2nd, rev.. 113.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alistair G Beattie and Margaret H Beattie. 1990. Lochaber and Skye Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 1st.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Lamont, D. 1913. Strath: in Skye. 33-5.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Inverness-shir 305.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 215, No. 675.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Reeves, W. 1857. Life of St Columba. 138.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Fisher, I.. 2001. Early Medieval Sculpture in the West Highlands and Islands 2001. Fisher, I.. Paper (Original). pp 102.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6869 2424 (84m by 102m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11571 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.