MHG5232 - Cairn, Inver Aulavaig
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
NG61SW 2 6044 1259.
NG 6044 1259. On the opposite side of the stream from NG61SW 3 on the summit of a knoll rising abruptly behind a cottar house some 40 yards distant from and 40ft above high-water mark, are the remains of a much dilapidated cairn of stones. A fine cist lies uncovered, formed of four slabs of red grit, and measures 2ft 9ins in length, 2ft in breadth and 2ft 6ins in depth, the longer axis running ENE by WSW. The covering slab lies beside the grave. About 1ft to the E. is the side slab of a second cist still in position, which had been built parallel to the first cist, but the other slabs of this grave have been removed. There are indications of two other burial chambers which have been destroyed. RCAHMS 1928.
The remains of a cairn with cist; as described by RCAHMS. It is so mutilated and robbed that its size cannot now be determined.
Visited by OS (A S P) 15 June 1961.
This site was visited in October 2010 during a walkover survey. Cairn with later box cist insertion; cist is open and the four side slabs remain in situ; the site is not entirely visible, turf- and grass-covered. Not surveyed completely, out of survey area. <1><2>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 191, No. 611.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Birch, S and Peteranna, M. 11/2010. Woodland Management Scheme Archaeological Desk Based Assessment and Walkover Survey: Crofts 6 & 7, Tokavaig, Isle of Skye. West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 10.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: West Coast Archaeological Services. 2010. Crofts 6 & 7, Tokavaig, Isle of Skye. West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 10.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6043 1258 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11565 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.