MHG5240 - Teampull Chaon
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NG61NW 1 6177 1619.
(NG 6177 1619) Teampull Chaon (NR) (Site of).
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
Teampull Chaon, Boreraig (Site). The site of this church, dedidated to St. Congan (OPS 1854) is on a grassy flat above the sea-shore, about 400 yards ENE of Dun Boreraig NG61NW 2. Although in 1910 the ruins were described as extensive (Macleod 1854), no traces of a building were discernable in 1914 (RCAHMS 1928).
Orig Paroch Scot 1854; A P Forbes 1872; F T Macleod 1912; RCAHMS 1928;
W D Simpson 1935.
There are no visible remains of this chapel. A ruined house 120.0m to the N of the OS siting is known locally as the Teampull which probably accounts for Macleod's description of extensive remains in 1910.
Visited by OS (C F W) 23 June 1961.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Forbes, A P. 1872. Kalendars of Scottish saints, with personal notices of those of Alba, Laudonia and Strathclyde. 3310.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 215, No. 671.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Simpson, W D. 1935. The Celtic church in Scotland: a study of its penetration lines and art relationships. 84-5.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1854. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/1. 844.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Macleod, F T. 1912. 'Further notes on the antiquities of Skye, chiefly the Districts of Sleat and Strath', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 46 1911-12, p.202-12. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 202-12. 206.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6176 1619 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11557 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.