MHG5242 - Dun Chlo
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DUN (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
NG60SW 7 618 015.
On a promontory bearing the placename Dun Chlo. A discontinuous grassy bank encloses a roughly circular area, 9-10m in diameter. Single outer facing stones on the SW arc. Two short stretches of outer walling to the SE on the seaward side. The dun is mentioned in the Statistical Account of 1795.
C Swanson 1982; OSA 1795.
This site was included in the Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland online database. See link below for site entry. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Swanson, C. 1982. 'Skye (Sleat p) dun', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1982, p.15. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 15. 15.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 16, 538.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Lock, G. & Ralston, I.. 2017. Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland. SC2693.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6180 0150 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://hillforts.arch.ox.ac.uk/records/SC2693.html (Link to online Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland site entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11556 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.