MHG52525 - Enclosures, Achachork
A series of sub-oval enclosures which contain traces of rig and furrow.
Type and Period (3)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- RIG AND FURROW (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- (Alternate Type) RIDGE AND FURROW (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A desk-based assessment in December 2008 noted a series of sub-oval enclosures on the 1968 Ordnance Survey map. Aerial photographs (CPE/Scot/UK175 4076, OS/64/051 100) show the enclosures to retain traces of rig and furrow, oriented predominantly north-south. <1>
It is possible that these enclosures are contemporary with aspects of the field system mentioned under MHG27720. It certainly appears to predate the main road and crofting township. <2>
During a watching brief in June/July 2009 it was noted that this site is in poor condition. The bank has a maximum width of 2.0m and stands to a maximum height of 0.90m. The field bank complex was bisected at three locations by the new pipe trench (illustrations 6 to 8). The first section (illustration 6) showed that the bank comprised mid brown silt with occasional small to medium sub rounded boulder inclusions with a maximum width of 0.32m and a maximum height of 0.40m. The pipeline then cut the field bank at NGR: NG 4766 4616 (illustration 8) revealing that the bank had slumped, measuring 3.40m wide and 0.30m high. On the west side of site 10, the pipeline excavation cut a field bank oriented northeast – southwest. This bank (illustration 7) was of mid brown silt with medium sized boulder inclusions and measured 1.60m wide and 0.60m in height.<3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Shaw, C. 02/2009. Storr Forrest Mains Water Pipe Renewal: Archaeological and Built Heritage Desk-based Assessment and Walkover Survey. Jacobs UK. 27/03/2009. Digital. Site 10.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Shaw, C. 08/2009. Storr Forest - Water Treatment Works Pipeline Renewal: Archaeological Watching Brief and GPS Survey. Jacobs Engineering UK Ltd. Digital. Site 10, illustrations 6 to 8.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 47735 46225 (289m by 435m) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.