MHG52530 - Site of blackhouse and outbuilding, 7 Culnacnoc

Summary

The site of a ruined blackhouse and outbuilding, due to be demolished.

Type and Period (2)

  • BLACKHOUSE (Constructed, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD to 1877 AD (at some time))
  • OUTBUILDING (Constructed, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD to 1877 AD (at some time))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Photographs of these buildings were submitted to the HER in March 2009. The site has planning consent for a new house. The unroofed remains appear to comprise a ruined blackhouse and outbuilding. The blackhouse appears to have been modified at some time to include a new stone partition with fireplace and chimney. This would presumably have replaced a central lum. <1>

Both buildings are roofed on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1877 at which time it was fronting immediately onto the road. By 1903 the present road alignment had been formed but the previous road was still in existence as an access track to the houses. This track had gone out of use by 1966 and the garden walls had been built, linking the house to the new road. <2>-<4>

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 51402 62414 (13m by 43m) (Mastermap)
Map sheet NG56SW
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish KILMUIR

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.