MHG52537 - Blackhouse at 13 Holmisdale, Glendale

Summary

A former blackhouse latterly in use as a byre.

Type and Period (3)

  • BLACKHOUSE (Built, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD to 1877 AD (at some time))
  • BLACKHOUSE (Occupied, 18th Century to 20th Century - 1701 AD? to 1959 AD? (between))
  • BYRE (In use, 20th Century to 21st Century - 1950 AD? to 2009 AD (between))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A former blackhouse which is depicted as roofed on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1877. <1>

Photographs of the building and accompanying information were submitted to the HER as a requirement of planning consent for a new house and the renovation of this building to a café and gallery. The building was a lived in blackhouse until around the 1950s, possibly by a Mary Morrison, and then used as a cattle byre until the present day. Some re-pointing work was done in the 1990s.
The building now has a corrugated iron roof replacing the former thatch, and the roof structure has possibly been replaced or modified to accommodate this. There are two rooms each with a fireplace served by the central stone chimney. The cast iron range survives in a very poor condition. <2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 18403 48288 (7m by 13m) (Mastermap)
Map sheet NG14NE
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish DUIRINISH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.