MHG52543 - Site of Old John's Cottage and outbuilding, Croft 11 - Laide
The ruins of a former crofthouse, with associated outbuildings, which was occupied until 1959 at Laide
Type and Period (3)
- CROFTHOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD to 1875 AD (at some time))
- CROFTHOUSE (Occupied, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD? to 1959 AD (between))
- BYRE (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The ruined buildings on this croft comprise a former croft house and a more recent outbuilding. Information about the buildings was submitted to the HER in March 2009 along with photographs taken to comply with a condition on planning consent for a new house. The croft house was last occupied by John Matheson until his death in 1959. The stone-built house had a thatched roof on timber rafters which were said to be slightly curved in shape. Sadly these were used as firewood by a neighbouring crofter many years ago. There was an earthen floor with the fire made at the south end but apparently no chimney. The building had no proper sanitation and water was fetched from a well on the hill. The north end of the main building, and the later outbuilding to the south, were latterly used for animals or storage. <1>
The crofthouse with associated outbuildings and an enclosure, no longer extant, is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1875. The current ruined outbuilding, with an attached enclosure, was built some time during the first half of the last century. <2> <3>
A survey of the Laide settlement area was undertaken by Macinnes, A. and Macintyre, J. in 2011.
Site 1. The croft house and attached byre. The age of the building is not known for certain. According to the maps, around 1881 there were three distinct parts. The house was last inhabited in 1959, and has since fallen into ruin. There is no evidence of the two smaller buildings, but the extension to the north, the byre, is still present in a ruined state. <4>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <5>
1st Edition OS 6" <6>
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): MacIntyre, H. 02/2009. Photographs of ruined buildings at Croft 11, Laide. Colour. . Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-76. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1964-73. Ordnance Survey 25 inch map: Epoch 5a. Digital.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2018. Croft 11, Laide. Anne MacInnes. Digital.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). p.1-31. XY
- <6> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 89854 92346 (15m by 15m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/105051 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.