MHG52552 - Site of House, Birchfield Steadings
Mid C20 house, now demolished
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Built, 20th Century - 1908 AD? to 1967 AD (between))
- None recorded
Approximately equidistant between the steading and the farmhouse (see parent record MHG51190) a third dwelling house serving the farmstead has been built. The building was constructed between the publication of the 2nd edition 6" OS map of 1908 <1> and the 25" OS map c.1967 <2> - although difficult to ascertain from available evidence the building appears to be of 1940-50's construction. The building survives to wallhead height in most places with a tall brick-built chimney occupying one corner <3>. Planning consent has been granted to demolish the remains of this house, and to renovate the surrounding steading buildings and single-storey crofthouse <4>.
- <1> SHG23732 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital. 1905.
- <2> SHG23419 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1964-73. Ordnance Survey 25 inch map: Epoch 5a. Digital. 1967.
- <3> SHG23286 Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <4> SHG23655 Image/Photograph(s): Unknown. 09/2007. Photographs of Birchfield Steadings. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 49454 99175 (13m by 11m) (Mastermap)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.