MHG52562 - House footings, south east of Reelig Wood Croft
The low footings of a probable crofthouse which is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1871.
Type and Period (2)
- CROFTHOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1871 AD (at some time))
- HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1871 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
Low footings are visible in an area of forestry where harvesting is currently taking place. The remains were reported by Tim Lucas of UPM Tilhill, and are described as a small square building (2 by 3m) of which only the lower sections of walls are visible, to approximately 40cm in height. The supplied grid reference is NH 568 425, and this appears to correspond with a larger building depicted on the current Ordnance Survey mapping. This building is shown as a roofed building, probably a crofthouse, on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1871. <1>-<3>
<1> Highland Council, 2009, Correspondence between Sylvina Tilbury, HCAU, and Tim Lucas, UPM Tilhill (Text/Correspondence). SHG24194.
<2> Lucas, T, 2009, Photographs of buildings in Rebeg Wood (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24195.
<3> Ordnance Survey, 1871-4, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness (Image/Map). SHG23389.
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Highland Council. 2009. Correspondence between Sylvina Tilbury, HCAU, and Tim Lucas, UPM Tilhill. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Lucas, T. 2009. Photographs of buildings in Rebeg Wood. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 56764 42500 (11m by 11m) (Mastermap)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.