MHG52567 - Gruinards Lodge Kennels, Ardgay


A former kennel building constructed c.1900 for working dogs on the Gruinards Estate.

Type and Period (1)

  • KENNELS (Built, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1900 AD? to 1904 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The building was originally constructed c.1900 as kennels for working dogs on the Gruinards Estate. It is located within riverside grazings formerly part of Gruinards Farm on the bank of the River Carron. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the location was suggested due to its distance from the Lodge to avoid disturbance from barking dogs. The original stone and slate building measures 11.80m by 4.00m externally, and is constructed of random coursed granite with sandstone quoins. The roof is of traditional timber construction with trussed rafters, timber sarking and Ballachulish slate, with hipped gables and zinc finishes. There are four decorative zinc roof vents. The building is subdivided into two internally with no internal access between the two parts. The building was extended c.1960 with the additional of a cattle court of brick, timber and asbestos construction. A photographic record of the building was submitted to the HER in connection with a planning application for conversion of the building to a fishing hut. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NH 52097 92466 (13m by 12m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH59SW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.