MHG52660 - MacKenzie's Road
Part of a route that was formerly the main overland route to the east coast, before being abandoned a few decades later.
Type and Period (2)
- ROAD (Constructed, 18th Century - 1792 AD to 1797 AD (between))
- ROAD (Abandoned, 19th Century - 1850 AD to 1850 AD (circa))
- None recorded
Road built in 1792-97 and abandoned as the main overland route to the east coast after a few decades due to poor construction. (Photo 28) This section is surfaced and provides access to farmland and one house, beyond which it deteriorates into a wet track which can be followed to Leckmelem and includes features such as culverts and flanking turf banks. To the north it crosses the Corry Burn at what must have been at this date the first fordable point. The road to the east running up to Corry Cottage is modern as is the bridge that crosses the burn now. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 15237 92310 (1339m by 1525m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.