MHG52667 - Former United Free Church, Bower
Believed to be a former United Free Church, this building is now in use as a community hall.
Type and Period (2)
- VILLAGE HALL (In use, 20th Century to 21st Century - 1929 AD? to 2100 AD)
- NONCONFORMIST CHURCH (Built, 20th Century - 1910 AD? to 1910 AD?)
- None recorded
It is reported that this building was constructed as a United Free Church in 1910. <1>
The Caithness Community website records that this hall was formerly a Church of Scotland. <2> It seems likely that this became a Church of Scotland soon after 1929 when the United Free Church merged with the established church. Presumably there was a surplus with the parish church to the north east, leading to this building being converted to use as a village hall. <3>
Most of the United Free Churches in Caithness were built to the same standardised design by Sinclair Macdonald of Thurso. They are found in similar numbers and locations to the Free Churches. At Brabsterdorran the former church has been converted to a new use as a community hall, but not without some damage to the integrity of the building. <4>
This site was visited and photographed by a member of HCAU staff in August 2009. <5>
<1> Private individual, 2008-11, Feedback from website visitor, Chris Irwin 29/07/2009 (Text/Correspondence). SHG22709.
<2> Caithness Community Web Site (Interactive Resource/Webpage). SHG23775.
<3> Tilbury, S, Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer, 30/07/2009 (Verbal Communication). SHG23297.
<4> Wright, A P K, 2008, Caithness Redundant Buildings Inventory, p 88 (Text/Report). SHG23751.
<5> Tilbury, S, 2009-11, Photographs by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer, 21/08/2009 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24247.
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Chris Irwin 29/07/2009.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Webpage: Caithness Community Web Site.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 30/07/2009.
- <4> Text/Report: Wright, A P K. 2008. Caithness Redundant Buildings Inventory. The North Highland Initiative. . Digital. p 88.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s): Tilbury, S. 2009-11. Photographs by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. Colour. . Digital. 21/08/2009.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 22891 60729 (30m by 30m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.caithness.org/atoz/photogallery/index.php?gallery=75&start=36 (View photographs of this building and the surrounding area on Caithness.org)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.