MHG52680 - Enclosure, Tor Hoilartich
A large sub-divided enclosure surrounding a knoll, recorded in the early 19th century.
Type and Period (1)
- ENCLOSURE (Constructed, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1747 AD to 1813 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
A large sub-divided enclosure, 150m SW-NE by 100m surrounds a knoll (named Tor hoilartich in 1813 ) on the NW bank of the North Garvan River, near its confluence with the South Garvan River. It is defined by a heavily overgrown bank of earth and stone, 1.20m wide and 0.60m high. It was recorded in 1813, associated with a group of houses beside Tor hoilartich. (See Fig 5) The enclosure and houses were out of use by 1872, when the OS 1st Ed.6" map was surveyed.
It was felt that this enclosure should be preserved as a feature in the landscape. <1>
This feature is no longer at risk from the proposed scheme. The proposed pipeline will run close to the west side, particularly at the NW corner, but will not cut through the bank. <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Robertson, J G. 03/2008. An Archaeological Survey of Part of Garvan, Conaglen Estate, Lochaber. Jennifer G Robertson. Digital. Site 5.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Robertson, J G. 06/2009. An Archaeological Assessment at the Proposed Hydro Scheme at Garvan, Lochaber. Jennifer G Robertson. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 97425 76915 (133m by 140m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.