MHG52681 - Site of township, Tor Hoilartich

Summary

The site of a settlement recorded on the 1813 Map Book of Ardgour. Nothing is visible on the ground.

Type and Period (1)

  • TOWNSHIP (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1850 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A settlement is recorded at Tor hoilartich on the 1813 Map Book of Ardgour, associated with the enclosure, Site 5, (See Fig. 5) It is situated on the NW bank of the North Garvan River near its confluence with the South Garvan River. The settlement was presumably long out of use by 1872 and not recorded on the OS 1st Ed. 6" map. No remains were found in the present survey.
This area has already been disturbed by the construction of the sheepfold, Site 4, and of a track. Nevertheless, there may well be buried settlement remains in the vicinity. A watching brief during any excavation work in this area would be desirable. <1>

It has been established that construction work will not affect this settlement site. <2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NM 97472 76855 (184m by 109m) (Centred)
Map sheet NM97NE
Civil Parish ARDGOUR
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.