MHG52682 - House and wall, South Garvan

Summary

Upstanding remains of a 19th-century house forming part of the settlement of South Garvan.

Type and Period (2)

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A well-built and relatively well-preserved house is situated on the East bank of the North Garvan River, downstream from its confluence with the South Garvan River. It is probably a relatively late feature in the sequence of occupation on this site. The building was still occupied in 1872, part of the settlement of South Garvan on the shore of Loch Eil. However, it is on the site of an earlier settlement, dating to at least 1747 and probably earlier. (See Figs 2 and 3).
It is recommended that this structure be preserved. The possible long history of occupation on this site means that there may be buried settlement remains in the vicinity. A watching brief during any excavation work in this area would be desirable. <1>

This building is no longer at risk from the proposed scheme. <2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NM 97690 76852 (10m by 11m) (Centred)
Map sheet NM97NE
Civil Parish ARDGOUR
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.