MHG52687 - Sheepfold, east of An Dubh Uisge

Summary

A mid to late 19th-century sheepfold consisting of five compartments.

Type and Period (1)

  • SHEEP FOLD (Constructed, 19th Century - 1833 AD to 1875 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A sheepfold, 29m N-S by 25m, is situated on the east side of a tributary of the An Dubh Usige river. It is divided into five compartments and consists of well-built and well-preserved walls with a pronounced batter, tapering from a width of 0.70m at the base to 0.50m at the top. There is no obvious reuse of earlier structures within its composition. A sheep dip leads from the South wall to a level platform. The sheepfold may date to the mid to late 19th century; it is depicted on the OS 1st Ed. 6" Map of 1875 and is approached by a track from the farmstead, Site 8.

It was felt that this site is not at risk from the present scheme. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NN 01293 76401 (22m by 24m) (Centred)
Map sheet NN07NW
Civil Parish ARDGOUR
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.