MHG52871 - Building south west of The Cottage, Achnasheen
A small cottage, thought to be the oldest house in the village.
Type and Period (3)
- HOUSE (Built, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD? to 1870 AD (at some time))
- SHOP (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD? to 1969 AD? (between))
- POST OFFICE (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD? to 1905 AD? (between))
- None recorded
Before 1870 the only buildings in Achnasheen (the field of the rain) were four cottage owned by the estate known as Strathbran. The oldest of these is thought to be the tiny building just in front of and west of The Cottage. It was formerly used as a shop by "Murdo the Merchant" and after changing hands it also incorporated Post Office facilities. The attached building was reroofed and converted into a double garage. <1>
Photographs of this building and the attached bothy were submitted to the HER in July 2008 in connection with a grant of planning consent for conversion to holiday lets. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 16215 58557 (10m by 7m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.