MHG52874 - Site of Post Office, Achnasheen
The site of the old village post office and shop.
Type and Period (2)
- SHOP (Built, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1881 AD? to 1905 AD (at some time))
- POST OFFICE (Built, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1881 AD? to 1905 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
The Angus's, who formerly ran a small shop and post office close to "The Cottage", built a new shop and post office on the western edge of the station. When Mrs Angus retired she wanted her niece to take over the business but the Post Office granted the franchise to Catherine Macrae. Mrs Angus therefore refused to make the building available and a second post office was built beside it. This was later demolished and replaced by a new one by "Gill the postie". The Angus Post Office was acquired in 1969 at which time the building was decaying. It was renovated and used as a craft shop by the owners of Moruisg and eventually demolished in the latter part of the 20th century. <1>
It has not been possible to precisely locate the site of this building. The approximate polygon takes in two buildings, either of which may be the subject of the "P.O." label on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. <2><3>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Holland, T. 06/2008. Correspondence and photographs relating to The Cottage, Achnasheen. Yes. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 16356 58562 (70m by 70m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.