MHG52875 - Former WW2 check point, Achnasheen

Summary

A small bothy used as a security check point during the Second World War.

Type and Period (2)

  • HOME GUARD STORE (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • CHECKPOINT (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A small bothy attached to the west end of a former shop was used as a combined office for George Angus, a coal merchant, and a Home Guard post. In 1969 it was in an advanced state of decay filled with training manuals, dummy grenades and live ammunition. The bothy was subsequently extensively renovated and upgraded and let out as an electronics workshop. <1>

Photographs of this bothy and the adjacent cottage were submitted to the HER in 2008 in connection with a grant of planning consent for conversion to holiday lets. <2>

This building was once used for manning the security barrier and check point that were erected in 1940 to restrict access to Loch Ewe and Gairloch. This was a restricted area for the duration of the war due to the Royal Naval presence and all local people had to carry passes. <3>

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 16207 58555 (7m by 4m) (Centred)
Map sheet NH15NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish GAIRLOCH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.