MHG52949 - Site of air raid shelter, 75 Dochfour Drive, Inverness
An air raid shelter located in the back garden of 75 Dochfour Drive.
Type and Period (1)
- AIR RAID SHELTER (In use, Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
A brick built air raid shelter is located in the back garden of 75 Dochfour Drive. The site was notified by Highland Council Housing and Property Service during refurbishment of the house and garden. The air raid shelter is in poor condition and will not be retained. <1>
The shelter has been semi-sunk into the ground but survives as an above-ground structure. It is built of brick and concrete with an L-shaped stepped entrance leading to a door to a small rectangular chamber. The size of the chamber (approximately 2m x 3m) would suggest that this was a private shelter for use by the occupants of the house only. Within the chamber there is a metal-lined niche from which a flue leads upwards and out - this appears to have been used for a fire. The shelter has been later modified as a garden feature with a patio and beds laid on the top and western side. Some electrical cabling is visible within the entrance. <2>
The shelter is not depicted on the 4th edition Ordnance Survey map of 1938, but can be clearly seen on the 5th edition of 1964. <3> <4>
This air raid shelter has now been demolished. <5>
- <1> Verbal Communication: Copeland, S. 10/2009. Telephone call from Sandra Copeland of Highland Council Housing and Property Service to Kirsty Cameron (HCAU). Yes. Digital.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Cameron, K. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1964. Ordnance Survey 5th edition map: Inverness. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1938. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 4th edition map: Inverness. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1930. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 3rd edition map: Inverness. Digital.
- <5> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 12/11/2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6582 4485 (8m by 4m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.