MHG53002 - Corrugated iron shed, Brabsterdorran
A large corrugated iron shed that could have been a workshop or garage.
Type and Period (3)
- WORKSHOP? (Built, 20th Century - 1906 AD to 1969 AD (at some time))
- VILLAGE HALL? (Built, 20th Century - 1906 AD to 1969 AD (at some time))
- GARAGE? (Built, 20th Century - 1906 AD to 1969 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
This building is included in the Caithness Redundant Buildings Inventory as an example of a freestanding corrugated iron structure, which are not common in Caithness compared with other parts of North Highland. "Near to the crossroads at Brabsterdorran there is a large corrugated iron shed with its walls propped up with timber shoring to prevent the roof from spreading, that could have been a workshop, or garage." <1>
The building is first depicted on the 5th edition Ordnance Survey map c.1969. <2><3>
It has been suggested that it may have been built as the original United Free Church, but the evidence does not support this (see MHG37092). <4><5>
- <1> SHG23751 Text/Report: Wright, A P K. 2008. Caithness Redundant Buildings Inventory. The North Highland Initiative. . Digital. p 85, photo.
- <2> SHG23362 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Caithness. Digital.
- <3> SHG23419 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1964-73. Ordnance Survey 25 inch map: Epoch 5a. Digital.
- <4> SHG23297 Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <5> SHG24247 Image/Photograph(s): Tilbury, S. 2009-11. Photographs by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. Colour. . Digital. 21/08/2009.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2306 6076 (19m by 29m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.