MHG53056 - Loch Borralie West
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SHELTER (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Circular drystone sheep shelter made from subangularblocks of basal quartzite. Diameter 12 - 13 m (the walls are quite bowed so diameter varies). Walls survive to original height (1.8 m) in the SW, SE and E arcs. Other parts reduced to 0.5 m (4-5 courses). There are opposing entrances at the N (for humans) and S (low lintelled sheep entrance). Walls comprise an inner and outer skin of subangularblocks with a rubble core.
On N slope of small valley overlooking Loch Borralie to E and Kyle of Durness to W and S. Nettles and ferns within the enclosure.
19th century sheep shelter
Recommendations: None. <1><2>
- <1> Dataset/Database File: Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 2003. Site gazetteer: Loch Borralie, Kyle of Durness. Site 40.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Lelong, O and MacGregor, G. 2003. Loch Borralie, Kyle of Durness: Project 950. Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). Digital. Site 40.
|Grid reference||NC 3777 6702 (point) (Approximate)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.