MHG53059 - Loch Borralie West
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
27 m NNW and slightly upslope of site 40 is a bicompartmental structure aligned NE/SW. Defined by low turf-covered banks with some stone protruding. The whole structure is 14.7 m long externally. The SW compartment is 8.7 m long x 4.9 m wide, the NE 6 m long x 2.8 m wide. The NE compartment seems to taper from the SW to NE. There is no gap in the bank seperating the two compartments. The visible stones are subangular blocks of undressed quartzite. The walls seem to be 2 stones (0.4m) wide and only one course high. There may be an entrance in the east walll of the largest compartment but much stone has been robbed. The same is true for the W wall of the smaller compartment, although the most likely entrance here is again on the E side where the two compartments meet. The height of the banks is 0.2 - 0.3m. The structure has probably been heavily robbed for the adjacent sheep shelter.
On N slope of small valley overlooking Loch Borralie to E and Kyle of Durness to W and S. Nettles and ferns within the enclosure.
A two room dwelling. Probably pre- Clearance
Recommendations: None. <1><2>
- <1> Dataset/Database File: Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 2003. Site gazetteer: Loch Borralie, Kyle of Durness. Site 43.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Lelong, O and MacGregor, G. 2003. Loch Borralie, Kyle of Durness: Project 950. Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). Digital. Site 43.
|Grid reference||NC 3776 6704 (point) (Approximate)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.