MHG53085 - Loch Borralie West
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Very large rectilinear enclosure, only traceable along some stretches. Defined on E by length of wall c 19 m NNE/SSW, built of double skin of angular and rounded stones; 0.6 m wide and 1-2 courses high. Defined on N by length of wall running WNW/ESE for c 24 m, surviving to up to 3 courses (0.3 m) high and composed predominantly of slabs. Intermittent stones protruding through turf continues wall line for c 9 m to WNW. Defined on W by more substantial wall, built atop a spread bank and up to 5 courses (0.6 m) high, extending NNW/SSE for 23 m.
Enclosure is bisected by modern fence running E/W across headland.
On flat ground between ridge to the west and plantation to the east. The area is covered with marram grass and low dunes.
Enclosure for stock control, or possible an exclosure to protect crops from stock.
Recommendations: Monitor burrowing. <1><2>
- <1> Dataset/Database File: Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 2003. Site gazetteer: Loch Borralie, Kyle of Durness. Site 76.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Lelong, O and MacGregor, G. 2003. Loch Borralie, Kyle of Durness: Project 950. Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). Digital. Site 76.
|Grid reference||NC 3770 6771 (point) (Approximate)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.