MHG53099 - Loch Borralie West
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- STRUCTURE (Medieval - 1058 AD? to 1559 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1058 AD? to 1559 AD?)
- SHELL MIDDEN (Medieval - 1058 AD? to 1559 AD?)
- None recorded
a) Stone footings describing (roughly) 3 sides of a rectangle, measuring 4.3 m NNE/SSW x ?3.5 m. Boulder footings are most clearly defined on E side and ground level is higher to W of them below dune edge. Under sparse turf cover with extensive burrowing in and around feature. No wall skins visible but clear facing in places.
b) Arcing length of walling flush with ground, c 3 m to E of (a). 2 m NNE/SSW, with concentration of broken limpet, mussel and whelk shells immediately to W of it.
Within large fenced deflated area E of plantation. Overlooks Loch Borralie to E.
Very denuded structure or enclosure with possibly associated shell midden.
Recommendations: Monitor and control rabbits. <1><2>
- <1> Dataset/Database File: Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 2003. Site gazetteer: Loch Borralie, Kyle of Durness. Site 92.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Lelong, O and MacGregor, G. 2003. Loch Borralie, Kyle of Durness: Project 950. Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). Digital. Site 92.
|Grid reference||NC 3806 6743 (point) (Approximate)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.