MHG53150 - Borralie

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ORCHARD? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Large, rectangular enclosure, c 30 m ENE/WSW x 20 m. Defined on by tumbled walls formed of double skin of large quartzite blocks with rubble core, 1 m thick and standing up to 1.2 m (6 courses) high, reduced in places to 1 course. On the SE side, a 3 m long wall has been built onto the enclosure and runs to the loch edge. The ground surface inside the enclosure is flush with the top of the wall along the SE, indicating cultivation and soil movement down slope within it.
On NW shore of Loch Borralie under grass and bracken, below steep scarp.
Enclosure related to township of Borralie (site 124). The enclosure is shown on the first edition OS map of 1874, where it appears to contain an orchard or other form of regular planting.
Recommendations: Control bracken. <1><2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference NC 3845 6752 (point) (Approximate)
Map sheet NC36NE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish DURNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.