MHG53191 - Site of farmstead, Upper Remore
The site of a farmstead, much of which was destroyed by fire in the early 20th century.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD? to 1905 AD? (between))
- None recorded
A farmstead, consisting of a farmhouse, garden, U-shaped steading, a horse wheel and other buildings, is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1869. By 1905 the steading is depicted as unroofed and was reportedly burnt down. The other buildings are no longer present, but a single square building is shown to the south of the steading which still appears as an unroofed building on the modern OS map. <1>-<3>
Upper Remore Cottage now occupies part of the steading footprint. Photographs of the cottage were submitted to the HER in January 2010 in connection with planning permission for extensions and renovations. The outline of the northern part of the steading's east wing can be seen to survive to a couple of courses in height. <4>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1869-1884. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Nairn-shire. Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Nairn-shire. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Ayres, M. 2009. Basic Photographic Record - Upper Remore. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 94389 48491 (147m by 83m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.