MHG53196 - Boundary dyke, east of Durcha
The remains of a stone-built boundary dyke that appears on historic Ordnance Survey mapping.
Type and Period (1)
- BOUNDARY DYKE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A walkover survey in January 2010 identified the remains of a stone-built boundary dyke. Comprising rough stone clasts, with a stone core, the wall has suffered from stone removal in the past. The base of the wall measures up to 1.2 metres wide and survives to a maximum height of 0.7 metres. <1>
From the historic map evidence this dyke would appear to consist of two distinct phases. The northern section is depicted on the 1st edition 6 inch Ordnance Survey map c.1878. The adjoining southern section is not depicted until 1906. <2> <3>
- <1> SHG24626 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Birch, S and Fraser, L. 01/2010. Woodland Establishment Archaeological Survey: East Durcha, Lairg, Sutherland. West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 6.
- <2> SHG23446 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1878. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Sutherland. Digital.
- <3> SHG23733 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Sutherland. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 50570 02213 (171m by 475m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.