MHG53335 - Possible Barrow, Sutherland Road, Dornoch
The ring ditch of a possible barrow was recorded during evaluation at Sutherland Road, Dornoch.
Type and Period (2)
- RING DITCH? (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- BARROW? (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
No information. <1>
The shallow remains of a ditch, with two terminals were recorded during archaeological evaluation at Sutherland Road, Dornoch. There was no direct dating evidence, but it is considered that the form of the monument suggests it is the ditch of a Bronze Age barrow. A modern ditch cut through the possible ring ditch. <2>
No precise location information for this feature is given in the report, so the GIS information supplied must be treated as an approximate extent. <3>
- <1> Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2010. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 300256.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Garry, N. 12/2008. Proposed Housing Development off Sutherland Road, Dornoch: Results of a Desk-based Assessment and Archaeological Evaluation. Alba Archaeology. Digital (scanned as PDF). Trench 13.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7913 8935 (50m by 50m) (Approximate)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/300256/ (View information held by RCAHMS on Canmore website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.