MHG5339 - BA Swords - Rigg
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Two Bronze Age leaf-shaped swords were found at Rigg, Skye, in 1886. The first, 26 1/2" long, was found by J Macvicar whilst digging out a rabbit and acquired by NMAS (Acc.No. DL 38). The second, 28 3/4" long,was discovered a few days later by Capt. Wm Stewart on excavating under a large stone, and presented to NMAS (Acc. No. DL 37). Dated probably to 7th century BC.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1887; G Callander 1923; J M Coles 1962.
No field action. Visited by OS (A S P) 27 April 1961.
(Swords of Ewart Park type - Caledonian step 2).
584. Found in 1886 by J Macvicar while digging out a rabbit. Sword of length 74cm, terminal width 3.75cm, shoulder width 4.9cm, maximum blade width 4.95cm; well cast, good condition. Edge very worn and battered; rivets 2 : 4 (slots), none in situ. NMAS DL 38.
585. Found a few days later by Capt. W M Stewart on excavating under a large stone, 2.5 x 1m thick. Complete sword of length 67.25cm, terminal width 4.4cm, shoulder width 5.35cm, maximum blade width 5cm; very well cast, light green patina; rivets 2 : 2, none in situ. NMAS DL 37.
C B Burgess and I Colquhoun 1988.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Callander, J G. 1923. 'Scottish Bronze Age hoards', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 57 1922-3, p.123-66. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 123-66. 146.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Henderson, W. 1938. 'Scottish late Bronze Age axes and Swords', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 72 1937-8, p.150-77. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 150-77. 173.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 112.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Burgess and Colquhoun, C B and I. 1988. 'The swords of Britain', Prahistoriche Bronzefunde Vol. 4 1988. Prahistoriche Bronzefunde. 100, nos. 584-5.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DL 37-8.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Bedford, C H. 1889. 'Notice of a bronze sword found on the estate of Waternish, Skye', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 23 1888-9, p.258-61. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 258-61. 261, nos. 5 and 6.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1887. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 21 1886-7, p.7-13, 133-37, 160-4, 198-202, 260-5, 285-91. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 7-13, 133-37, 160-4, 198-. 220-1; illust..
|Grid reference||Centred NG 5100 5600 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- SWORD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-034-405-C& (Link to NMS online collections database DL 37)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-034-406-C& (Link to NMS online collections database DL 38)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11517 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.