MHG53398 - Stalkers bothy and stable, Bad Sgalaig
A small bothy and stable recorded on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map.
Type and Period (3)
- SHOOTING BOTHY (Built, 19th Century - 1850 AD? to 1876 AD (at some time))
- STABLE (Built, 19th Century - 1850 AD? to 1876 AD (at some time))
- PATH (Built, 19th Century - 1850 AD? to 1876 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
This building was noted during a walkover survey in August 2008 and is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1881 (surveyed 1876). It consists of stabling to the right, with tiled flooring and walls, and a small bothy room to the left. It was originally set back from the track up the glen, possibly to avoid seasonal flooding of the river. The building is named in Watson's Placenames of Ross and Cromarty as "Bothan Bad-sgalaidgh", "noted for ghosts".
A slightly raised, ditched path connects the bothy to the line of the main track up the glen. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 46104 80064 (105m by 105m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.