MHG53410 - Farmstead, Upper Wathegar

Summary

A farmstead comprising three buildings, which is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1872.

Type and Period (1)

  • FARMSTEAD (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1872 AD (at some time))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The farmstead of Upper Wathegar is described in detail in the Cultural Heritage section of the Environmental Statement for a proposed new windfarm. It consists of three buildings, two of which are still roofed, while the third has been re-used as a sheep fank. The buildings appear on early editions of the OS map much as they do today, as does the pattern of rectangular fields around the farm.
According to the Ordnance Survey Name Book, Upper Wathegar consisted of two small dwellings occupied by Mr Gunn and Mr Sutherland. These two buildings are still standing and roofed. It is possible that the third building also originated as a dwelling. This has now been taken down to wallhead height and capped with large flags. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 28172 50635 (98m by 67m) (Centred)
Map sheet ND25SE
Civil Parish WICK
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.